On Sep 19, 2012, at 8:02 AM, "Roger Clough" <rclo...@verizon.net> wrote:

Hi Jason Resch

My ionterpretation of the result of the brain splitting on
pain perception is that her "self" is on one side and
the feeling of pain is on the other. Thus she feels the pain,
but cannot associate to her self (doesn't care).

I would agree, but add that the self, in this case, is found in the connected parts of the majority of her brain.

Jason

Roger Clough, rclo...@verizon.net
9/19/2012

From: Jason Resch
Receiver: everything-list@googlegroups.com
Time: 2012-09-18, 14:14:31
Subject: Re: Bruno's Restaurant

On Sep 18, 2012, at 12:53 PM, meekerdb  wrote:

On 9/18/2012 10:31 AM, Jason Resch wrote:
No it is absolutely necessary. If you had no knowledge regarding what you were seeing, no qualia at all, you would be blind and dysfunctional.

You might cite blund sighr as a counter example, but actually i think it is evidence of modularity if mind. Those with blind sight appear to have a disconnect between the visual processing parts of their brain and others. For example, they may still have reflexes, like the ability to avoid obsticles or catch a thrown ball, but the language center of their brain is disconnected, and so the part of the brain that talks says it can't see.

I agree. But it raises a question about the woman who feels pain but doesn't care. Who is it that doesn't care? Obviously the conscious person who tells you they don't care. But is there another, inarticulate person who feels the pain? or does care?

Brent,

Good question, and a scary thought.

I think this might be likely in the case of a fully split brain, but correspondingly less likely the smaller the isolated (disconnected) part of the brain is.

Unconsciousness under anesthesia results from brain regions becoming isolated from each other. Maybe they are still conscious but cut off from the memory, motion control, and speaking areas, so we have no evidence of the consciousness of the sub-regions.

Jason

Brent

-- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Everything List" group.