From: Jason Resch
Receiver: everything-list
Time: 2012-09-18, 01:50:45
Subject: Re: Bruno's Restaurant

On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 6:10 PM, Craig Weinberg  wrote:

I think that comp is almost true, except for when applied to consciousness
itself, in which case it is exactly false. I wasn't asserting it so much as I
was illustrating exactly why that is the case. Does anyone have any common
sense analogy or story which makes sense of comp as a generator of
consciousness?

Craig,

I'll give this a shot.

Imagine there is a life form with only the most simple form of qualia. ?t can
only experience two states of being: pain and the absence of pain.

Further, let's say this creature has, say 10 semi-independent regions in its
brain, each responsible for different functions but also each is connected to
every other, to varying degrees. ?ach can affect any other region in various
ways.

When the creature is in a state of pain, each of the 10 regions of the brain
are notified of this state. ?(This is communicated from the creature's pain
receptors to all other parts of its brain).

The awareness of this state has different effects on each region, and the
regions in turn affect the creature's thoughts and behaviors. ?or example, one
region begins telling the other regions of the brain to do whatever they can to
make it stop. ?nother region expresses the associated behaviors and thoughts
that pertain to stress and anxiety. ? third region of the brain might increase
the readiness or propensity to flee, hide, cry for help, or scream. ?he states
of the various regions have cascading and circular affects on other regions,
and the entire focus of the brain may quickly shift (from what it was thinking
before) to the single subject and pursuit of ending the pain. ?aken to the
extreme, this effect might become all-encompassing, or even debilitating.

In the above example, the perception of pain is described in terms of
information and the effect that information has on the internal states of
processes in the brain. The presence of the information, indicating pain, is
through a very complex process, interpreted in numerous ways by different
sub-agents in the brain to yield all the effects normally associated with the
experience.

Jason

P.S.

Try this little experiment from your own home: close your eyes and slowly begin
to pinch the skin on the back of your hand. ?ay particular attention to the
feeling as it crosses the threshold from mere feeling into pain. ?oncentrate on
what it is that is different between that perception (of the light pinch) and
the pain (of the string pinch). ?ou may find that it is just information, along
with an increasing anxiety and desire to make it stop. ?xperiments have found
that certain people with brain damage or on certain drugs can experience the
pain without the discomfort. ?here is a separate part of the brain responsible
for making pain?ncomfortable!