On Thursday, September 20, 2012 10:14:25 AM UTC-4, Bruno Marchal wrote:

> On 20 Sep 2012, at 14:27, Craig Weinberg wrote:
>
> Because we know for a fact that our consciousness correlates with neural
> activity ...
>

> We don't know that. It is a theory, a belief, an assumption, ...
>
> Some people have believed that consciousness correlates to the state of
> the liver.
>
> We never know if a theory is "true". We can only know when a theory is
> false.
>
> Bruno

I would agree that it would be only a theory that brain changes 'produce'
consciousness, but I would say that we can say with confidence that changes
in our awareness are more tightly synchronized with changes in brain
activity than with those of the liver, or any other thing in the universe
that we can observe.

When we stimulate the brain magnetically, that event correlates directly
with subjective experience. I don't think that there is anything else we
could stimulate which would cause that.

Craig