On 9/24/2012 12:59 PM, John Clark wrote:

On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 12:28 PM, Stephen P. King <stephe...@charter.net <mailto:stephe...@charter.net>> wrote:

        >> Thus the moon does not exist when you are not looking at it.

    > I expected better from you! This quip is based on the premise
    that "you" are the only observer involved. Such nonsense!
Considering that there are a HUGE number of observers of the moon

What about the crater Daedalus on the far side of the moon, nobody is observing it at this moment so does it exist right now? At any rate my point was that if it's true that "there is no email message outside of human interpretation" as Craig Weinberg asserted then it must also be true that the moon does not exist when you are not looking at it.

  John K Clark

Hi John,

Does the presence of the crater make a difference that makes a difference, or equivalently, have a causal effect on other entities in its environment? If yes then yes, it is "being observed". But its "existence, qua necessary possibility is strictly a priori. Why do you insist on conflating the possibility of a measurement outcome with the measurement outcome? I think that Craig is discussing ideas that are flying right over your head.

--
Onward!

Stephen