On 9/24/2012 9:59 AM, Roger Clough wrote:
By self I mean conscious self. Computers
are not conscious because codes can describe,
but they can't perceive. Perception requires a
live viewer or self.

I had no racial intentions in mind when I spoke
of not having a subject, and I  find it difficult to
see how you could imagine that. And not having
a subject would mean you are dead.
HI Roger,

We can faithfully capture the idea of perception by considering a process of actively generating and updating an internal model of the entity and its interactions with its environment. The "subject" or self" is, in this reasoning, identified with the internal model. We can limit the infinite regress problem (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homunculus_argument) that might be considered as an argument against this idea by the following means: 1) Each model and any sub-model are (up to some limit) isomorphic (see Kleene's theorems), so one only needs resources to code the initial model and any bits that represent the differences between it and its sub-models. The "self" is the model plus the updating mechanism.

--
Onward!

Stephen