Albeit at a low resolution, scientists have already extracted from brain
>  scans what people are seeing:

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn16267-mindreading-software-could-record-your-dreams.html
We still can't observe the experience. Advanced aliens may be able to
read our thoughts very accurately in this way but still have no idea
what we actually experience or whether we are conscious at all.

But we could tell if it correctly read our thoughts (at least as well as we can tell anything). We could looks at records and say, "Yes, that's what I was thinking." And after we did that we would develop confidence that it could also read what other people were thinking - in just the same way we recognize other people as conscious.