On Thursday, September 27, 2012 11:29:12 PM UTC-4, stathisp wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 12:52 PM, Craig Weinberg
> <whats...@gmail.com<javascript:>>
> wrote:
> >> If physics cannot predict even in theory when the neurons will fire
> >> then *by definition* the neurons behave contrary to physics.
> >

> > If the neurons fire based on the participation of a personal identity in
> > response to events in a person's life, then how could physics predict
> them
> > without predicting a person's entire life?
> When you replace the spark plugs in your car you don't need to know
> everywhere the car is going to go for the duration of its existence.
> You just need to know how the spark plugs respond to voltage, current,
> temperature and so on. If you can't predict this even in theory then
> your car has magical spark plugs and you won't be able to replace
> them. Same with your brain.

The spark plugs don't fire in response to the will of the driver, the brain
does. This isn't magic, this is the ordinary process by which we
participate in the world in every waking moment of our lives. It is not the
same. Building a car that you can drive with your mind is one thing,
building a car that can predict where you want to drive to next month is
completely different.