On 9/27/2012 10:52 PM, Craig Weinberg wrote:

On Thursday, September 27, 2012 7:45:07 PM UTC-4, stathisp wrote:

    On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 11:30 PM, Craig Weinberg
    <whats...@gmail.com <javascript:>> wrote:

    >> I object to the idea that consciousness will cause a brain or
    other
    >> machine to behave in a way not predictable by purely physical
    laws.
    >> Some people, like Craig Weinberg, seem to believe that this is
    >> possible but it is contrary to all science. This applies even
    if the
    >> whole universe is really just a simulation, because what we
    observe is
    >> at the level of the simulation.
    >

    > That is not what I believe at all. I have corrected you and
    others on this
    > many times but you won't hear it. Nothing unusual needs to
    happen in the
    > brain for ordinary consciousness to take place, it's just that
    physics has
    > nothing to say about whether billions of synapses will suddenly
    begin firing
    > in complex synchronized patterns or not. Physics doesn't care.
    Can neurons
    > fire when conditions are right? Yes. Can our thoughts and
    intentions
    > directly control conditions in the brain? YES. Of course.
    Obviously.
    > Otherwise we wouldn't care any more about the human brain than
    we would a
    > wasps nest. It's not that physics needs to be amended, it is
    that experience
    > is part of physics, and physics is part of experience.

    If physics cannot predict even in theory when the neurons will fire
    then *by definition* the neurons behave contrary to physics.

If the neurons fire based on the participation of a personal identity in response to events in a person's life, then how could physics predict them without predicting a person's entire life?

Craig

Good point! Physical systems are completely blind to their history, or so we are told...

--
Onward!

Stephen