On Saturday, September 29, 2012 2:14:34 PM UTC-4, stathisp wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 1:49 PM, Craig Weinberg
> <whats...@gmail.com<javascript:>>
> wrote:
>
> > The spark plugs don't fire in response to the will of the driver, the
> brain
> > does. This isn't magic, this is the ordinary process by which we
> participate
> > in the world in every waking moment of our lives. It is not the same.
> > Building a car that you can drive with your mind is one thing, building
> > car that can predict where you want to drive to next month is completely
> > different.
>
> But the atoms in the food I ate for dinner that will be incorporated
> into my brain don't know what I'm going to do next month. All they
> have to do is behave like every other carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen etc.
> atom in the universe. Whatever my brain does, it does it with those
> interchangeable components.

At the level in which there are interchangeable components, there is no
brain. At the level at which we can describe a brain, the context is a
whole living organism. Your view conflates what I call the micro-impersonal
level with higher impersonal levels and the perceptual frame of impersonal
representations with the perceptual frame of personal presentations.

Craig