On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 3:39 PM, Craig Weinberg <whatsons...@gmail.com>wrote:

> > how can reason be completely different from evolution if reason itself
> is a consequence of nothing but evolution.

Random mutation can wire together a small number of cells such that if
there is a sudden change in the light levels in the environment, like a
shadow covering it, a snail will retreat into its shell. This mutation will
aid in survival so it will enter into the next generation. A further random
mutation might be such that if the shadow does not lead to a attack the
connection between shadow and retreat into your shell will be weakened, and
if it does lead to a attack the connection will be reinforced. This is the
utilization of rudimentary induction, something not seen in the inorganic
world until humans started making computers. Evolution is just random
mutation and natural selection, and induction is not part of any of that,
but it can and has produced something that is. And simple induction is the
first step toward more complex inductions, and then deduction and then
large brains that produce minds that argue about philosophy.

> You say that they are different but you explain nothing of how it is
> possible for evolution to become so different from itself.

Evolution hasn't changed a bit in billions of years, it's still just
mutation and natural selection and it doesn't have a scrap of induction or
deduction or intelligence in it , but it has managed to produced billions
of things that do because in their niche those things pass on their genes
better than things that don't have those properties. And Evolution has
produced at least one thing that's conscious too.

> What does Darwin being right about evolution have to do with you being
> right about biology being unnecessary?

As I've said before, Evolution can't see consciousness only intelligence,
and yet Evolution produced consciousness at least once with me, therefor
consciousness must be a byproduct of intelligence. And we now know for a
fact that biology is not necessary for intelligence so it's not necessary
for consciousness either.

  John K Clark