On Monday, October 8, 2012 3:06:42 AM UTC-4, Quentin Anciaux wrote:

> 2012/10/7 Craig Weinberg <whats...@gmail.com <javascript:>>

>>> We know with absolute certainty that the laws of physics in this
>>> universe allow for the creation of consciousness, we may not know how they
>>> do it but we know for a fact that it can be done.
>>>

>> Absolutely not. We know no such thing. Quite the opposite, we know with
>> relative certainty that what we understand of physics provides
>>

> He did not say that... He is absolutely true, and I agree with him because
> *I* am (or he from his POV) the fact he is talking about, I am conscious
> therefore it is true that the physical laws of this universe wathever they
> are allow for the creation of consciousness, at least they allowed mine.

You are agreeing with me: " > Only because he lives in a universe in which
the possibility of teleology is fully supported from the start."

When you and I say the Laws of Physics in this context, we mean physics in
an open ended way which includes 'whatever it takes' to make consciousness.
When John Clark says the Laws of Physics, I think that he means the laws
which he understands as being the constraining principles of 20th century
Physics, such that any notion of consciousness which cannot be explained in
the those terms must be nonsense.

He didn't say the laws *we know*, he said "the physical laws of this
> universe allow...."

I think that he assumes that the laws of physics are set as we understand
them now and no new interpretations which modify them significantly can
contradict them.

Craig