On 07 Oct 2012, at 14:17, Roger Clough wrote:

Hi John Clark

Unless computers can deal with inextended objects such as
mind and experience, they cannot be conscious.

Consciousness is direct experience, computers can only deal in descriptions of experience.

Everything that a computer does is, to my knowledge, at least
in principle publicly available, since it uses publicly available symbols or code.

Consciousness is direct experience, which cannot be put down in code
any more than life can be put down in code. It is personal and not publicly available.

I agree with this, about consciousness, but how do you know that your neighbor is conscious? You can see only his brain or his body, not his soul. You cannot know that: it is a bet. Why could'n we make that bet for a computer. You are just postulating that computer cannot think, but that is begging the question. Of course it is not the computer-body which is conscious, but the (possible) person associated to the computation done by the computer. same for the brain: a brain is not conscious. Only person are conscious.

Bruno

Roger Clough, rclo...@verizon.net
10/7/2012