On Monday, October 8, 2012 4:57:08 PM UTC-4, Brent wrote:

> On Monday, October 8, 2012 3:38:42 PM UTC-4, Brent wrote:
>>
>>  On 10/8/2012 11:25 AM, Craig Weinberg wrote:
>>

>> On Monday, October 8, 2012 2:19:56 PM UTC-4, Brent wrote:
>>>
>>>  On 10/8/2012 10:24 AM, Craig Weinberg wrote:
>>>
>>>  So the more stimulation you get through your senses of the outside
>>>>

>>> Stimulation that you get thorough your senses of the outside environment
>>> does not control you.
>>>

>>> How could you possibly know that, considering that John has accumulated
>>> many years of stimulation?
>>>

>> Just look at the Conjoined Twins video I posted. Those two people are
>> genetically identical, occupy the same body, experience stimulation that is
>> very similar, yet they *routinely* disagree.
>>

>> Similar isn't the same.
>>

> But the behavior varies in similarity while their stimulation does not.
>

> Sure it does.  They are not in exactly the same place.

That's true but irrelevant. If they move to the left two feet so that
Brittany is in Abby's position, Brittany doesn't become Abby. We are
talking about two people in the same body who act the same sometimes and
completely different other times. This is not the result in air pressure
differences in the room or the angle of incidence on their retina.

> Haven't you heard of chaotic dynamics.  Even perfectly identical systems
> can diverge in behavior due to infinitesimal differences in stimulation.

Sure, but do they then converge again and again?

>  Clearly they are each controlling their own behavior separately, even
> though the degree to which their stimulation from the outside world does
> not vary separately.
>

> But you don't know that.  You are just looking at the current
> stimulation.  Yet their behavior, even their internal structure, has been
> molded by different stimulations since they were embryos.

I agree, they are different. How do they know how to speak in unison
sometimes and they argue with each other at other times?

>  If the internal conditions were sufficient to allow their control
> strategies to diverge, then they should not re-synchronize again and again
> constantly. Each difference should build on each other, like two slightly
> different fractal kernels wouldn't weave in and out of perfect synch all
> the time, they would follow completely anomalous paths. The fractals might
> look like the are exploring different patterns (if even that) but it seems
> like they would not keep going back to isomorphic patterns at the same time.
>

> Why not? "Seems like" is just your intuition.

So is consciousness.

Craig