Hi meekerdb

The empiricists such as Hume and Locke maintained that
all that we know has first arrived through our senses.
I agree. The stuff of knowledge comes from "below".

But Kant showed that this is not enough,
for our minds have to make "mental sense" of this data.
Consciousness or intelligence is thus structured for this purpose.
Our minds tell us what in particular we do know.

Such logical structures intelligence uses cannot arrive through our senses,
but must come platonically from "above", so that the "mental sense"
is finally arrived at using the platonic forms and
structures from above.

In the meeting place of the "above" and the "below"
there exists, analogous to Maxwell's Demon, the active agent
called the self. The self makes sense of sensual data and
stores that in memory. We have learned something.

Roger Clough, rclo...@verizon.net
10/9/2012