On Monday, October 8, 2012 5:19:03 PM UTC-4, Brent wrote:

> On Monday, October 8, 2012 4:57:08 PM UTC-4, Brent wrote:
>>
>>  On 10/8/2012 1:25 PM, Craig Weinberg wrote:
>>

>> On Monday, October 8, 2012 3:38:42 PM UTC-4, Brent wrote:

>>> Just look at the Conjoined Twins video I posted. Those two people are
>>> genetically identical, occupy the same body, experience stimulation that is
>>> very similar, yet they *routinely* disagree.
>>>

>>> Similar isn't the same.
>>>

>> But the behavior varies in similarity while their stimulation does not.
>>

>> Sure it does.  They are not in exactly the same place.
>>

> That's true but irrelevant. If they move to the left two feet so that
> Brittany is in Abby's position, Brittany doesn't become Abby.
>

> Because they're not in the same place in SPACETIME.

That doesn't stop them from thinking and speaking in unison.

>  We are talking about two people in the same body who act the same
> sometimes and completely different other times. This is not the result in
> air pressure differences in the room or the angle of incidence on their
> retina.
>

> How do you know that?  There are differences and differences can be
> amplified.  Even K_40 decays in their brain could trigger different
> thoughts.

It's absurd. It's like saying that you would become your twin brother for a
half hour if you got too close to a microwave. Identity is incredibly
resilient and incredibly flexible. The toy model of identity you are
operating from does not fit the reality of what you can see with your own
eyes. They are just who they appear to be. They are not experiencing
slightly different stimulations which cause them to be in complete
agreement sometimes and opposition at other times. Look at how they act.
Each is generating their own opinions and tastes. Could their personalities
be shaped by their different positions relative to their torso? Sure, but
that would only make them more utterly separate from each other.

>>  Haven't you heard of chaotic dynamics.  Even perfectly identical systems
>> can diverge in behavior due to infinitesimal differences in stimulation.
>>

> Sure, but do they then converge again and again?

:)

>>  Clearly they are each controlling their own behavior separately, even
>> though the degree to which their stimulation from the outside world does
>> not vary separately.
>>

>> But you don't know that.  You are just looking at the current
>> stimulation.  Yet their behavior, even their internal structure, has been
>> molded by different stimulations since they were embryos.
>>

> I agree, they are different. How do they know how to speak in unison
> sometimes and they argue with each other at other times?
>

> The brain is modular.

That's your intuition.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=a-new-phrenology
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10932482

Even if it were, arguing and and speaking in unison would surely involve
the same modules or modules which are stimulated in the same way.

Craig