From: Craig Weinberg
Receiver: everything-list
Time: 2012-10-08, 12:02:27
Subject: Conjoined Twins

Have a look at the first few minutes of this show with conjoined twins Abby and
Brittany:

http://tlc.howstuffworks.com/tv/abby-and-brittany/videos/big-moves.htm

You can see that although they do not share the same brain they clearly share
aspects of the same mind. They often speak in unison but they can disagree with
each other. This can be interpreted to mean that they are similar machines and
therefore are able to generate the same functions simultaneously, but then how
can they voluntarily disagree? To me, this shows how fundamentally different
subjectivity and will is from computation, information, or even physics. Even
though I think subjectivity is physical, it's because physics is subjective,
and the way that happens is via intention through time, rather than extension
across space. The words they say are not being transmitted from inside one
skull to another, even though Brittany seems to be echoing Abby in the sense
that she is in a more subservient role in expressing what they are saying, the
echo is not meaningfully delayed - she is not listening to Abby's words with
her ears and then imitating her, she is feeling the meaning of what is being
said at nearly the same time.

I think that Bruno would say that this illustrates the nonlocality of
arithmetic as each person is a universal machine who is processing similar data
with similar mechanisms, but I see real-time Quorum Mechanics. They are
speaking more or less 'in concert'. Were they machines, I would expect that
they could get out of synch. One could just start repeating the other five
seconds later, or they could lapse into an infinite regress of echoing. Surely
the circuitry of such a rare instrument would not and could not evolve rock
solid error corrective anticipation for this.