life, consciousness, free will, intelligence

I try to give a phsical definition of each one:

Life: whathever that maintain its internal entropy in a non trivial way (A
diamant is not alive). That is, to make use of hardwired  and adquired
information to maintain the internal entropy by making use of low entropic
matter in the environment.

Consciousness: To avoid dangers he has to identify chemical agents, for
example, but also (predators that may consider him as a prey. While non
teleológical dangers, like chemicals, can be avoided with simple reactions,
teleológical dangers, like the predators are different. He has to go a step
further than automatic responses, because he has to deliberate between
fight of flight, depending on its perceived internal state: healt, size,
wether he has breeding descendence to protect etc. He needs to know the
state of himself, as well as the boundary of his body.   He has to
calibrate the menace by looking at the reactions of the predator when he
see its own reactions. there is a processing of "I do this- he is
responding with that", at some level.
So a primitive consciouness probably started with predation. that is not
self consciousness in the human sense. Self consciousness manages an
history of the self that consciousness do not.

Free will: There are many dylemmas that living beings must confront, like
fight of flight: For example, to abandon an wounded cub or not,  to pass
the river infested of crocodriles in orde to reach the green pastures in
the other side etc.  many of these reactions are automatic, like fight and
fligh. because speed of response is very important (Even most humans report
this automatism of behaviour when had a traumatic experience). But other
dilemmas are not. A primitive perception of an internal conflict (that is
free will) may appear in animals who had the luxury of having time for
considerating either one course of action or the other, in order to get
enough data. This is not very common in the animal kingdom, where life is
short and decission have to be fast. Probably only animals with a long life
span with a social protection can evolve such internal conflict. When there
is no time to spend, even humans act automatically. If you want to know how
an animal feel, go to a conflict zone.

Intelligence: The impulse of curiosity and the hability to elaborate
activities with the exclusive goal of learning and adquiring experience,
rather than direct survivival. of course that curiositiy is not arbitrary
but focused in promising activities that learn something valuable for
survival.  A cat would inspect a new furniture. Because its impulse for
curiosity is towards the search of locations for hiding, watch and shelter
and for the knowledge of the surroundings. That is intelligence, but a
focused intelligence. It is not general intelligence.We have also a focused
curiosity but it is not so narrow.

Alberto

Alberto.