On 12 Oct 2012, at 14:50, Craig Weinberg wrote:

They are certainly cool looking and biomorphic. The question I have is, at what point do they begin to have experiences...or do you think that those blobs have experiences already?

Would it give them more of a human experience if an oscillating smiley-face/frowny-face algorithm were added graphically into the center of each blob?

Here is a "deterministic" simple phenomenon looking amazingly "alive" (non-newtonian fluid):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zoTKXXNQIU

Is it alive? That question does not make sense for me. Yes with some definition, no with other one. Unlike consciousness or intelligence "life" is not a definite concept for me. I use usually the definition "has a reproductive cycle". But this makes cigarettes and stars alive. No problem for me.