Hi Russell,

Even more suggestive is its similarity to Butschli protocells... see
this video for example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tmTDvL1AUs and many others uploaded by
Rachel Armstrong... as she describes them "a simple self-organizing
system that is formed by the addition of a drop of alkali to a field
of olive oil - first described by Otto Butschli 1898"

Terren