From: Bruno Marchal
Receiver: everything-list
Time: 2012-10-12, 10:23:52
Subject: Re: Continuous Game of Life

On 12 Oct 2012, at 14:50, Craig Weinberg wrote:

> They are certainly cool looking and biomorphic. The question I have
> is, at what point do they begin to have experiences...or do you
> think that those blobs have experiences already?
>
> Would it give them more of a human experience if an oscillating
> smiley-face/frowny-face algorithm were added graphically into the
> center of each blob?

Here is a "deterministic" simple phenomenon looking amazingly
"alive" (non-newtonian fluid):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zoTKXXNQIU

Is it alive? That question does not make sense for me. Yes with some
definition, no with other one. Unlike consciousness or intelligence
"life" is not a definite concept for me. I use usually the definition
"has a reproductive cycle". But this makes cigarettes and stars alive.
No problem for me.