On Friday, October 12, 2012 10:23:57 AM UTC-4, Bruno Marchal wrote:

> On 12 Oct 2012, at 14:50, Craig Weinberg wrote:
>
> > They are certainly cool looking and biomorphic. The question I have
> > is, at what point do they begin to have experiences...or do you
> > think that those blobs have experiences already?
> >
> > Would it give them more of a human experience if an oscillating
> > smiley-face/frowny-face algorithm were added graphically into the
> > center of each blob?
>

> Here is a  "deterministic" simple phenomenon looking amazingly
> "alive" (non-newtonian fluid):
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zoTKXXNQIU
>
> Is it alive? That question does not make sense for me. Yes with some
> definition, no with other one. Unlike consciousness or intelligence
> "life" is not a definite concept for me. I use usually the definition
> "has a reproductive cycle". But this makes cigarettes and stars alive.
> No problem for me.
>
> Bruno

"The good news is, after this operation you'll be every bit as alive as a
cigarette is".

There are some cool videos out there of cymatic animation like that. All
that it really tells me is that there are a limited number of morphological
themes in the universe, not that those themes are positively linked to any
particular private phenomenology. They are producing those patterns with a
particular acoustic signal, but we could model it mathematically and see
the same pattern on a video screen without any acoustic signal at all. Same
thing happens when we model the behaviors of a conscious mind. It looks
similar from a distance, but that's all.

Craig