On 10/29/2012 10:21 AM, Evgenii Rudnyi wrote:
Some more quotes from From Scientific Representation: Paradoxes of
 Perspective by Bas C Van Fraassen.

p. 45 "Agreed, we cannot demonstrate that in principle, as a matter
of logic, mathematical modeling must inevitably be a distortion of
what is modeled, although models actually constructed cannot have
perfection reachable in principle. But on the other hand, the
conviction that perfect modeling is possible in principle - what
Paul Teller calls the "perfect model model" - does not have an a
priori justification either!"

p. 83 "Suppose now that science gives us a model which putatively
represents the world in full detail. Suppose even we believe that
this is so. Suppose we regard ourselves as knowing that it is so.
Then still, before we can go on to use that model, to make
predictions and build bridges, we must locate ourselves with
respect to that model.

If the model is complete it must already include us - as well as what
we will think about it and do with it.  But then this will run into
Godelian incompleteness.  If it is true it will be unprovable within
the model.

The question would be how it should be done practically. Say let us imagine that such a model is the M-theory (I am still impressed by Grand Design by Hawking). How do I find myself in the M-theory?

Evgenii

Brent

So apparently we need to have something in addition to what science
 has given us here. The extra is the self-ascription of location."

p. 83 "Have we now landed in a dilemma for our view of science as
paradigmatically objective? If we say that the self-ascription is a
 simple, objective statement of fact, then science is inevitably
doomed to be objectively incomplete. If instead we say it is
something irreducibly subjective, then we have also admitted a
limit to objectivity, we have let subjectivity into science."

Evgenii -- http://blog.rudnyi.ru/tag/bas-c-van-fraassen