From: Stephen P. King
Receiver: everything-list
Time: 2012-11-08, 07:54:18
Subject: Re: Leibniz: Reality as Dust

On 11/8/2012 6:19 AM, Roger Clough wrote:

Hi Stephen P. King

Time and space don't exist as substances so
they don't influence the monads, which as you say
are eternal. Further, there is no "substance space".
So the monads are not organized in any way.
The monads can be thought of as a collection
of an infinite number of mathematical points.

>From dust we come and to dust we shall return.

Hi Roger,

    The absolute disconnection of the monads is what makes them a 'dust'. This
is exactly what is a Stone space - the dual to a Boolean algebra. ;-) The idea
is that any one monad has as its image of other monads the vision of a
mathematical point. This fits the idea of that the classical universe is "atoms
in a void" as taught by Democritus.
http://www.scottaaronson.com/democritus/lec1.html

    What Craig and I are proposing is to add time to this idea. The evolution
of the dust from one configuration to another is the arrow of time. Switching
to the dual, we see teh evolution of Boolean algebras, whose arrow is the
entailment of one state by all previous states. These two arrows face in
opposite directions

... A => A'     Stone space
    |       |
....A*<=A*'  Boolean algebra

    The duals aspects of each monad evolve in opposite directions.

Roger Clough, rclo...@verizon.net
11/8/2012