On Thu, Nov 8, 2012 at 12:30 PM, Stephen P. King <stephe...@charter.net> wrote:
> On 11/8/2012 10:04 AM, Richard Ruquist wrote:
>>
>> The compact manifolds, what I call string theory monads, are more
>> fundamental than strings. Strings with spin, charge and mass, as well
>> as spacetime, emerge from the compact manifolds, perhaps in the manner
>> that you indicate below.
>

> Hi Richard,
>
>     OK, but then you are thinking in terms that are different from the
> formal models that are in the literature. You will have to define all of the
> terms, if they are different. For example. How is the property of
> compactness defined in your idea? Why are the Calabi-Yau manifolds are
> topological objects that are part of a wide class of "minimal surfaces".
> There is a huge zoo of these in topology. See
> http://www.scholarpedia.org/article/Calabi-Yau_manifold

According to Cumrun Vafa spacetime emerges from the compactification process.
However after a few hours attempting to find any theory of the
compactification process,
not even where Vafa says that two dimensions must compactify for one
to inflate, which is kind of a oxymoron, I have to give up.

>>   The one difference from what you are
>> considering and the compact manifolds (CMs) that I can see is that the
>> CMs are fixed in the emergent space and not free floating- which in
>> itself implies a spacetime manifold.
>

>     If you have a proposal that explains how space-time emerges from the
> CMs, cool, but you have to explain it to us and answer our question. One
> question that I have is: What fundamental process within the compact
> manifolds enables them to generate the appearance of space-time. I think
> that you are assuming a substantiabalist hypothesis; that substance is
> ontologically primitive. There is a long history of this idea, which is by
> the way, the idea that Bruno and others -including me- are arguing against.
> This article covers the debate well:
> http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/substance/

I agree that the compact manifolds are substantive.
You and Bruno IMO are arguing that something can come from nothing.
I contend that the arithmetic must come from something substantive.

>> Perhaps another is that from your discussion, it appears that all your
>> monads can be identical, whereas the CMs are required to be different
>> and distinct in order for consciousness to emerge from an arithmetic
>> of real numbers.
>

>     Why? What is acting to distinguish the CMs externally? You seem to
> assume an external observer or consciousness or some other means to overcome
> to problem of the identity of indiscernibles.

My argument is based on empirical observation that the fine structure
varies monotonically from north to south in an earth perspective
across the universe. That could only be true if the monads were
variable since the constants and laws of physics are properties of the
compact manifolds/monads.

> http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/identity-indiscernible/ I think that your
> idea is not that much different from that of Roger and mine. I just would
> like to better understand some of your assumptions. You seem to have some
> unstated assumptions, we all do. Having these discussions is a good way of
> teasing them out, but we have to be willing to consider our own ideas
> critically and not be too emotionally wed to them.
>
>>   However since from wiki "Each Boolean algebra B has
>> an associated topological space, denoted here S(B), called its Stone
>> space" and "For any Boolean algebra B, S(B) is a compact totally
>> disconnected Hausdorff space" and "Almost all spaces encountered in
>> analysis are Hausdorff; most importantly, the real numbers",
>

>     No, actually. Real numbers are not Stone spaces. P-adic numbers, OTOH,
> are. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Totally_disconnected_space#Examples

If so, you should rewrite those wikis.

>> I contend
>> that your monads as well as mine must be enumerable-that is all
>> different and distinct.
>

>     Yes, they would be, but the idea that they are distinct cannot just be
> assumed to exist without some means for the information of that partitioning
> of the aggregate comes to be knowable.

Covered in a previous comment above.

>One thing that consciousness does is
> that it distinguishes things from each other. Maybe we are putting in the
> activity of consciousness into our explanations at the start!

Maybe the property of distinguishability of consciousness stems from
distinguishable monads