On Thu, Nov 8, 2012 at 10:25 AM, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

> On 08 Nov 2012, at 14:51, Richard Ruquist wrote:
>
>> Stephan,
>> If the compact manifolds of string theory are all different and
>> distinct (as I claim in my paper from observations of a variable fine
>> structure constant across the universe), then the manifolds should
>> form a Stone space if each manifold instantly maps all the others into
>> itself, my (BEC physics) conjecture, but also a Buddhist belief-
>> Indra's Pearls.
>>
>> If so, youall may be working on implications of string theory- like
>> consciousness.
>>
>> However, in my paper I claim that a 'leap of faith' is necessary to go
>> from incompleteness to consciousness (C). Would you agree? Bruno says
>> C emerges naturally from comp.
>

> More precisely, I say that consciousness and matter emerges from elementary
> arithmetic,  *once* you bet on comp, that is the idea that the brain or the
> body can be Turing emulated at some right level so that you would remain
> conscious.
>
> Bruno

And of course what I am hoping as a physicist rather than a
mathematician or logician is that the compact manifolds may be the
basis of the elementary arithmetic from which spacetime, matter (ie.,
strings) and consciousness emerge. However, I do not understand what
it means "to bet on comp". Does the whole shebang collapse if brains
do not exist?
Richard