On 19 Dec 2012, at 20:30, meekerdb wrote:

On 12/19/2012 8:34 AM, Roger Clough wrote:

Hi meekerdb and Stephen,

If information is stored in quantum form,
I can't see why the number of particles
in the universe can be a limiting fsactor.

Information has to be instantiated in matter (unless you're a Platonist like Bruno). No particles, no excited field modes -> no information.

You mean: unless you are a mechanist. Platonism in the greek sense is a consequence. And arithmetical realism is what you need to understand the mathematical notion of computation, Church thesis, etc. Not "mathematical platonism".

Bruno

Also there are ways of storing information
holographically, so size gets a bit ambiguous.

The holographic principle says that the information that can be instantiated in spherical must be less than the area of the bounding surface in Planck units. So there's a definite bound. If we looks at the average information density in the universe (which is dominated by low energy photons from the CMB) and ask at what radius does the spherical volume times the density equal the holographic limit for that volume based on the surface area we find it is on the order of the Hubble radius, i.e. the radius at which things are receding at light speed. This suggests the expansion rate of the universe and and gravity are entropic phenomena.

Brent

[Roger Clough], [rclo...@verizon.net]
12/19/2012