On 24 Dec 2012, at 15:35, Roger Clough wrote:

Hi Bruno Marchal

It helps me if I can understand arithmetic as true
constructions of a fictional leggo set.

Why fictional? Immaterial OK, but ffictional?

From what you say, the natural numbers and + and * (nn+*).

What is (nn+*)?

are not a priori members of Platonia (if indeed that makes
sense anyway).

They are. Either as basic citizens, or as existing object if we start with a universal system different from arithmetic, but in all case all truth about all digital machines are a priori members in all Platonia rich enough for comp.

They can simply be invoked and used
as needed, as long as they don't produce contradictions.

Alas, after Gödel that is not enough. In arithmetic you can depart a lot from truth, and still be consistent.

That being the case, don't you need to add =, - ,  and
/ to the Leggo set ? Then we have (nn+-*/=).

"= " is there. But "-" and all other computable function and programs can be defined from the axioms I gave, + a very small amount of logical axioms. If you want I can give explicit presentation(s) some day.

I wonder if somebody could derive string theory from this set.

Trivially, in a weak sense of "string theory".
Non trivially, in the stronger sense as deriving string theory, and only string theory from comp. That should be the case if string theory is the ultimate correct theory of the physical.

Then we might say that the universe is an arithmetic construction.
Probably an absurd idea.

Actually yes. As comp implies that physics, although derivable in arithmetic + comp, is not an arithmetical construction. We already know that arithmetical truth is not an arithmetical notion, so this should not be so astonishing.

Hi Bruno Marchal

No doubt you are right, except that the brain is physical,
while, as I understand it, a UTM is mental.

But the physical is mental, or immaterial, with comp. So, no problem :)

I have to go for prepare Xmas, I have a lot of nephews and little nephews ...

Happy Xmas to you Roger, and to everyone,

Bruno

[Roger Clough], [rclo...@verizon.net]
12/24/2012