On 26 Dec 2012, at 19:26, John Clark wrote:

On Sat, Dec 22, 2012 at 7:22 AM, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

>> information is not abstract, it's physical and is deeply involved with both energy and entropy.

> You confuse some notion of physical information with the mathematical notion(s).

I am not confused and it is a fact that thinking of information as something physical has over the last century proven itself to be remarkably fertile and has led to the discovery of new knowledge, while thinking of information as ethereal was found to be sterile and has led to nowhere and nothing.

False. All the radio and tele-communication have come from the purely mathematical theory of Shannon. Only with quantum mechanics, some physicalists, like Landauer and Deutsch, explore the speculation that there might be a notion of physical information. But to define it they still rely on Shannon and Turing purely mathematical notions.

Also, don't use "ethereal" for immaterial, especially after asking if natural numbers need a reason to exist(*).

Bruno

(*)

On Sat, Dec 22, 2012 at 11:05 AM, Telmo Menezes <te...@telmomenezes.com > wrote:

> Why do the natural numbers exist?

A better question is do the natural numbers need a reason to exist? I don't know the answer to that but my hunch is no.

  John K Clark

  John K Clark