On 21 Dec 2012, at 22:17, John Clark wrote:

On Thu, Dec 20, 2012 at 1:01 PM, Roger Clough <rclo...@verizon.net> wrote:

> The infinite set of natural numbers is not stored on anything,

Which causes no problem because there is not a infinite number of anything in the observable universe, probably not even points in space.

Perhaps, we don't know.
It causes no problem because natural numbers does not have to be stored a priori. Only when universal machine want to use them.

> no information can be stand alone, it must have context to give it meaning.

I think that's true because information is not abstract, it's physical and is deeply involved with both energy and entropy.

You confuse some notion of physical information with the mathematical notion(s).

> But that context can not be stored alone, it in turn must have context.

No because matter and energy are generic. In any context the 2 electrons in a helium atom always have opposite spin.

>Thus one bit of information cannot simply be physically stored,

Quiet, keep your voice down! If anybody hears you it will destroy the multi-trillion dollar computer industry and put millions of people out of work.

> But our brains do apparently store enormous amounts of information.

And so the silly game of trying to inflate our ego by convincing ourselves that we are special and inherently superior to machines continues.

If we are machine we must explain the existence of physical information from the mathematical information available to the universal machine in arithmetic.