John,

On 24 Dec 2012, at 21:16, John Mikes wrote:

Bruno and Brent:

we T H I N K we have an idea what 'qualia' may be and ACCEPT our figment on 'quanta' (i.e numbered 'objects' - figments as well). None of the two(?) are closer to the essence (read: 'truth') we just got better used (evolved?) to quantitative thinking and language concerning such because it seemed simpler to follow in primitive life.

But there are tools in math to handle qualities too, like modal logic.

Such tools cannot create qualia, nor perhaps explain them completely, but Earth Geography cannot create Earth, nor explain it completely, and is still useful.

Now, with Bruno's highly developed apparatus in arithmetics, quanta (numbers!) look like a 'reality' as compared to our still flimsy ideas about other qualia. Yet qualia they are (in a quantizing sense)
Language development went in parallel with a mental development.
This asymmetry may be the base for Bruno's:
"No qualia are communicable in the sense that quanta, or numbers, are communicable."
No OTHER qualia, that is - as Brent remarked.

We can know our own qualia, but it is not clear if we can communicate about them even to ourselves. We can experience them, or live them.

Turing (universal) and Church (thesis) are compatible products of the presently developed state of the human mind, evolved as some justification (base?) for the workings of the latest and still holding) version.

Yes, and that is why we use the comp theory.

Note that the evidences for Church thesis are very big. Peope like Rosen who believes it is false are poorly convincing. We have two kind of evidences: - the empirical one (all definitions of the computable functions appear to be equivalent, - the closure of the partial computable functions for the Cantor diagonalization procedure.

Anyway, in science, we can only propose theories, and if we are lucky enough someone will find us wrong and proposes a better theory.

They comfort the finite thinking (even in the infinite inclusions) which is our restricted way to apply human logic and 'ascertainable' reality. \

The assumption that we are relatively finite, in the 3p sense, is really the essence of comp. It *is* our assumption. Then logic can help to study our relations with the (many) infinities which confront all universal machines.

Best,

Bruno

John M