A greath truth. Every human knowledge has also social consequiences. When I
say "A". I donĀ“t only say "A is true". I say also that because A is true
and you must accept it because a set of my socially reputated fellows of me
did something to affirm it, you must believe it, and, more important, I
deserve a superior status than you, the reluctant.

As a consequence of this fact o human nature (which has a root in natural
selection). every corpus of accepted knowledge is associated from the
beginning to a chiurch of guardians of ortodoxy. No matter the intentions
or the objectivity or the asepsy of the methods of the founders. There is a
power to keep, much to gain and loose, and as time goes on, real truth
becomes a secondary question.  The creatie, syncere founders are
substituted by media polemizers and mediocre defenders of the status quio.

This power-truth tension in science was biased heavily towards the former
when State nationalized science at the end of the XIX century, because
science was standardized and homogeneized to the minimum common
denominator, chopping any heterodoxy, destroying free enquiry which was
vital for the advancement. Now peer reviews are  in many sofft disciplines,
filters of ortodoxy, not quality controls.

As the philosopher of science Feyerabend said, It is necessary a separation
of State and science as much as was necessary a separartion of State and
church: Because a state with a unique church of science is a danger for
freedom, and because a science dominated by the state is a danger for any
science.

The standardization of science towards materiamism was a logical
consequence of  the a philosophical stance of protestantism: the
Nominalism, that rejected the greek philosophical legacy and separated
dratically the revelated knowledge of the Bible form the knowledge of the
things of the world without the bridge of greek philosophy. Mind-soul and
matter became two separate realms. Common sense or the Nous were not a
matter of science and reason, like in the greek philosophy (what is
reasonable included what makes common sense, just like it is now in common
parlancy), but a matter of the individual spirit under the firm umbrela of
the biblical revelation. The problem is that this umbrela progressively
dissapeared, and with it, common sense. That gave a nihilistic relativism
as a consequience. With the exception of USA, where common sense is still
supported by the faith.

 The other cause were the wars of religion among christian denominations,
that endend up in a agreement of separation between church and state, where
any conflictive view was relegated to religion as faith, and only the
minimum common denominator was admitted as a foundation for politics, This
MCD was a form of political religion. This political religion was teist at
the beginning (As is not in USA) laater deist and now is materialist,
following a path of progressive reduction to accomodate the progressive
secularization (which indeed was a logical consequence of the nominalism
and the proliferation of faiths that the reform gave birth).

In later stages, the political religion has dropped the country history,
and even reversed it, and, following its inexorable logic, try to destroy
national identity of each individual european country, in the effort to
accomodate the incoming inmigration worldviews. This is in part, no matter
how shockig is, the logical evolution of the agreement that ended the
religious wars of the XVI century.

In the teistic and deistic stages the State made use of the transcendence
in one form or another for his legitimacy, since the divine has a plan, and
people belive in the divine, the legitimacy of the state, in the hearths fo
the people, becomes real when the nation-state is inserted in this divine
plan.

When, to accomodate the materialistic sects, marxists among them, the
 state took over Science to legitimate itself, because the State no longer
had the transcendence as an option to suppor his legitimacy. the legitimacy
of the state was supported by a materialistic sciece, subsidized,
controlled and depurated from any heterodoxy.

So there is the current science, an image of the state political religion,
Multicultural, relativistic and materialist.

2013/1/4 Stephen P. King <stephe...@charter.net>

>  On 1/4/2013 9:54 AM, Roger Clough wrote:
>
> Hi Stephen P. King
>
> ....very few scientists....
>
> Sheldrake has done many successful experiments to empirically prove what he
> claims.
> The results are in his books. Some have been published in New Scientist.
>
> See http://www.sheldrake.org/Research/overview/
>

>     "*A new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents
> and making them see the light <http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Light>, but
> rather because its opponents eventually
> die<http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Death>,
> and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it." Max Planck.*
>
> --
> Onward!
>
> Stephen
>
>  --