On Wed, Jan 9, 2013 at 4:29 PM, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

> On 09 Jan 2013, at 13:26, Telmo Menezes wrote:
>
> Where does hate, falsehood and ugliness come from?
>

> I am not quite sure, but it comes probably from the consistency of
> inconsistency (that is: Gödel's second incompleteness theorem).

Doesn't the second incompleteness theorem imply that all knowable truths
are local and that absolute truth is unrecognisable?
That makes sense with my empirical understanding of realty: there are
things that I find beautiful and others find ugly. Hate groups feel that
they just have a correct understanding of reality, and so on.

> Actually it comes from the fact that Bf (inconsistency) gives an
> evolutionary advantage. Like the true Dt, Bf can be used to prove correct
> arithmetical propositions, to shorten the proofs of non trivial
> propositions, etc. I am able to conceive, some day, that all axioms of
> infinity are of this type (but this is a strong statement).
>
> So basically the hate, the falsehood and the ugliness comes from their
> local evolutionary advantage. A bit like robbing a bank can be justified,
> when the goal is to make money locally and quickly. A bit like when the
> "first animal" decided to feed on a vegetal, which is a form of molecules
> stealing, at some level. Then other animals steal the molecules of those
> vegetarians, and so on. This has generated the evolutionary heuristic: to
> eat or to be eaten, and sometimes that hurts.

Ok - at the evolutionary level of abstraction.