On 1/10/2013 3:15 PM, Telmo Menezes wrote:

On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 12:01 AM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net <mailto:meeke...@verizon.net>> wrote:

    On 1/10/2013 2:28 PM, Telmo Menezes wrote:

    On Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 11:15 PM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net
    <mailto:meeke...@verizon.net>> wrote:

        On 1/10/2013 1:58 PM, Telmo Menezes wrote:
        Hi Craig,

        I tend to agree with what you say (or what I understand of it). Despite
my
        belief that it is possible to extract memories (or their 3p shadows)
from a
        brain, I do not believe in the neuroscience hypothesis that
consciousness
        emerges from brain activity. I'm not sure I believe that there is a
degree of
        consciousness in everything, but it sounds more plausible than the
emergence
        from complexity idea.

        Do you agree that intelligence requires complexity?

    I'm not sure intelligence and complexity are two different things.

    Of course they're two different things. An oak tree is complex but not
intelligent.
    The question is whether you think something can be intelligent without
being complex?

I don't agree that an oak tree is not intelligent. It changes itself and its environment in non-trivial ways that promote its continuing existence. What's your definition of intelligence?

What's yours? I don't care what example you use, trees, rocks, bacteria, sewing machines... Are you going to contend that everything is intelligent and everything is complex, so that the words loose all meaning? Do you think there can be something that is intelligent but not complex (and use whatever definitions of "intelligent" and "complex" you want).