On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 3:14 PM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

>  On 1/15/2013 7:27 AM, Jason Resch wrote:
>

>>  Then why do we find ourselves in a world where everyone has only life
>> from their childhood to now?
>>

> All conscious states are experienced, even if everyone is truly immortal
> it does't mean we always have access to or are experiencing all our
> memories all the time.  How much of your current life are you recalling at
> any given moment?
>
> To answer your question, we are either original biological humans or
> someone else experiencing what it was like to be an original biological
> human.  When this life ends the consciousness original biological humans
> ends, but it continues as the someone else who experienced that original
> biological human's life.
>

> But as I understand your theory we are nothing but sequences of
> experiences - so if the sequence continues (and I don't know how you
> distinguish one continuation from a another)

I don't bother trying as I've realized it is futile.  I've found only two
workable definitions of "you" which don't lead to contradictions:

1) Each observer moment has its own unique experiencer.
2) All observer moments belong to the same experiencer.

The latter at least leads to useful decision theories (like why bother
getting out of bed in the morning), while the former seems to lead to
nihilism.  I prefer the second one.

> the we continue.  It is incoherent to say someone else experiences our
> continuation.

 Right, there is no "someone else" who experiences something that you do
not.

Jason