On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 8:23 AM, Craig Weinberg <whatsons...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> There are those who believe that the very atoms are necessary in order to
>> preserve a consciousness: making an arbitrarily close copy won't do. From
>> what you have said before, this is what you think, but it goes against any
>> widely accepted biological or physical scientific theory.
>

> Since there is no widely accepted biological or physical scientific theory
> of what consciousness is, that doesn't bother me very much.

The assumption by scientists is that consciousness is caused by the
brain, and if brain function doesn't change, consciousness doesn't
change either. So swapping out atoms in the brain for different atoms
of the same kind leaves brain function unchanged and therefore leaves
consciousness unchanged also. Also, swapping out atoms in the brain
for different atoms of a different but related type, such as a
different isotope, leaves brain function unchanged and leaves
consciousness unchanged. This is because the brain works using
chemical rather than nuclear reactions. It is an assumption but it is
consistent with every observation ever made.

--
Stathis Papaioannou