On 1/15/2013 5:15 PM, Jason Resch wrote:

On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 3:14 PM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net <mailto:meeke...@verizon.net>> wrote:

    On 1/15/2013 7:27 AM, Jason Resch wrote:

        Then why do we find ourselves in a world where everyone has only life
from
        their childhood to now?

    All conscious states are experienced, even if everyone is truly immortal it
does't
mean we always have access to or are experiencing all our memories all the time. How much of your current life are you recalling at any given moment?

    To answer your question, we are either original biological humans or
someone else
    experiencing what it was like to be an original biological human.  When
this life
    ends the consciousness original biological humans ends, but it continues as
the
    someone else who experienced that original biological human's life.

    But as I understand your theory we are nothing but sequences of experiences
- so if
    the sequence continues (and I don't know how you distinguish one
continuation from a
    another)

I don't bother trying as I've realized it is futile. I've found only two workable definitions of "you" which don't lead to contradictions:

1) Each observer moment has its own unique experiencer.
2) All observer moments belong to the same experiencer.

The latter at least leads to useful decision theories (like why bother getting out of bed in the morning), while the former seems to lead to nihilism. I prefer the second one.

I love it how empirical contradiction is so easily dismissed.

Brent

    the we continue.  It is incoherent to say someone else experiences our
continuation.

 Right, there is no "someone else" who experiences something that you do not.

Jason