On 15 Jan 2013, at 17:18, Telmo Menezes wrote:

On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 5:08 PM, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

On 15 Jan 2013, at 00:38, meekerdb wrote:

On 1/14/2013 10:20 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:

Lobbying should be forbidden.

But it's just another name for "petitioning your government". Lobbyists provide a lot research and expertise to the legislative process,

Biased by personal interests.

Exactly. And let's not be naive here, the "research" is just to make the decision look good in the public's eye. What really makes lobbying work is money. Lobbyists pays for politicians careers.

Yes. And this leads to human aberration like this one:

so I don't think it is workable to just forbid them.

I did not say it was easy. Note that in Europa lobbying is more or less forbidden, but by lack of bipartition, we have often coalition which succeed in defending some special interest too.

We have to think to prevent democracy being swallowed by corporatism. When Romney said that "corporations" are people, I get the chilling ...

Another (counter-intuitive) measure against lobbyists and special interests groups would be aggressive deregulation of everything. People who want to fight corporatism with state regulation are trying to extinguish a fire with gasoline. Regulation is what they thrive on. Regulation always end up granting the powerful groups all the liberties they want and restricting the individual liberties even further.

The regulation should be brought by fair competition.

Let supermarkets sell rotten meat. Soon businesses will appear to tell you which meat is ok to eat - because the demand will be there. There certifiers would have an incentive to tell you the truth, because that's how they'd make money. The government rarely has an incentive to tell us the truth.

OK.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Everything List" group. To post to this group, send email to everything- l...@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com . For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/everything-list?hl=en .