I always considered "h" to just be a constant of proportionality
between energy and frequency that is determined empirically.

What a quantum particle is may be metaphysical- that is, beyond
measurement and subject to belief.

For example I believe in a Quantum Mind- Physical world duality where
both wave functions and their quantization exist in the quantum mind;
whereas only physical particles exist in the physical world. That is,
fields, forces and action at a distance all exist in the quantum mind.

So lets consider the radiation of EM waves/fields from electrons in an
antenna. As the waves spread out, their intensity or amplitude
decreases as 1/r squared, so that one quanta of energy (or one photon)
requires integration of the amplitude over larger and larger area
and/or time.

It is my conjecture that arithmetics of the Quantum Mind do a running
quantization so that virtual particles are realized in the Quantum
Mind that are digital equivalents to the analog EM fields, Same for
all quantum wave functions in general.

In the MWI scenario, every such virtual particle becomes a  physical
particle in a new universe. However, it is also possible that all
virtual particles but one get cancelled by anti-particles ala Feynman
QED or Cramer analysis thereby resulting in a single universe (SWI).

That thinking combines a collapse model with a hidden variable model;
but both models apply to the quantum mind and not the physical world.
I believe that for my combined model to be true, the arithmetics of
the quantum mind must be instantaneous, consistent with the Quantum
Mind being mainly a timeless virtual MWI Block Space.

But your question really is "what does a physical particle look like?"
My answer is that they look like strings. But I have to admit that
strings are still concepts in the regime of metaphysics. Of course,
point particles are there as well.
Richard