On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 Craig Weinberg <whatsons...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Then why can't a one dimensional Turing machine do geometry,
>>

> > It can solve geometry problems,

Yes.

> but it can't generate geometric forms.

Can you generate geometric forms? Your fingers can draw a triangle but are
you fingers you, if your fingers were cut off would you no longer be you?

> It has nowhere to draw a triangle and nothing to draw it with, no eyes to
> see it, and no mind to appreciate it as a form.

I don't know what your point is. Yes if you restrict a AI to one dimension
then obviously it will not be able to draw a triangle, but you couldn't
either.

> It can tell you all kinds of things about triangles, just like Mary can
> tell you all kinds of things about red, but there is no experience which is
> triangular.

Then give the AI experience with triangles, after all the brain of a real
AI will be just as 3D as your brain.

> A universe generated by Turing-like arithmetic would not and could not
> have any use for multi-dimensional presentations.

A one dimensional Craig Weinberg would not and could not have any use for
multi-dimensional presentations.

> Since we actually do live in a universe of mega-multi demensional sensory
> presentations, that means that comp fails

Fine, "comp" fails. I'm glad to be rid of it as I never even knew what the
damn word meant and have become increasingly convinced that nobody else on
this list knows either.

  John K Clark