The same way it explains it for humans. The cat is not sensing the world
directly, but the constructions created by its brain. Those constructions
involve shortcuts of various kinds (e.g. edge detection) optimized for the
kinds of environments that cats have thrived in, from an evolutionary
standpoint. Those shortcuts are what lead to optical illusions. Optical
illusions are stimuli that expose the shortcuts for what they are.  There
is nothing about the fact that it's a cat that makes this any harder to
explain in mechanistic terms.

It is interesting because it suggests that cats employ at least one of the
same shortcuts as we do, which further suggests that the visual
optimizations that lead to optical illusions are much older than humans.
And while that is not a very controversial claim, it is cool to have some
evidence for it.

Terren