On 3/7/2013 6:09 PM, Terren Suydam wrote:
The same way it explains it for humans. The cat is not sensing the world directly, but the constructions created by its brain.

Hi Terren,

I almost agree, I only add that it is not just the brain of the cat (or human or whatever) that is being sensed, the mind is involved in the construction as well.

Those constructions involve shortcuts of various kinds (e.g. edge detection) optimized for the kinds of environments that cats have thrived in, from an evolutionary standpoint. Those shortcuts are what lead to optical illusions. Optical illusions are stimuli that expose the shortcuts for what they are. There is nothing about the fact that it's a cat that makes this any harder to explain in mechanistic terms.

    Sure, and the mind as well.

It is interesting because it suggests that cats employ at least one of the same shortcuts as we do, which further suggests that the visual optimizations that lead to optical illusions are much older than humans. And while that is not a very controversial claim, it is cool to have some evidence for it.

Yes, I have to show this to my friends that are studying pattern recognition.

Terren