friends:
don't put so much brain-grease into Free Will, please!
It is the religious mambo-jumbo put into the mind of the poor-believers in
ancient times to make them responsible for deeds the powerful disliked -
and consequently: make them punishable. Then it became a 'human treasure':
*"We are FREE to Will!" *(like a god) and now even smart, reasonable people
like us spend centuries to discuss it.
A decision is right when it goes smoothly with the given and continuing
circumstances it has to fit into (Think of the mis - construed 'evolution':
if it does not 'fit' the mutant perishes).
We may (or may not) know about the given circumstances and for sure may
have only desultory and unsafe notions about the 'coming' ones. Our
evaluation (call it computing?)  results in a decision (conscious or not)
for our activity - OR just way of thinking. Reasonably we try to abide by
those circumstances we know of and formulate (consciously, or not) our
decision according to our best belief (maybe this is contrary to our
interest?). Hence emerges FREE WILL.
I am not faithful enough to believe in MY free will and go to hell by force
of this misconception. I may make mistakes.
I am not deterministically forced to comply with all facets of the infinite
complexity - known,  or unknown. I can revolt. Meaning: I can knowingly
choose the wrong decision.
Is that free will? Maybe. That's a matter of definition.

Regards
John Mikes