On Tuesday, March 19, 2013 1:38:21 PM UTC-4, John Clark wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 1:13 PM, Craig Weinberg
> <whats...@gmail.com<javascript:>
> > wrote:
>
> > Intimate relation is not causality. The stock market has been famously
>> been related to skirt lengths
>

> If when skirt lengths changed there was ALWAYS a change in the stock
> market in the same direction, and when the stock market changed there was
> ALWAYS a change in skirt lengths that preceded it then its true, changing
> the length of skirts DOES cause a change in the stock market; and if humans
> don't understand how a connection between the two could possibly work
> that's just too bad, it wouldn't make it any less true.
>
> And if all of that were true then dress designers would be the richest
> people the world has ever seen. They're not.

I already went through this with you with the vanilla ice cream example.
Correlation, even 100% correlation, does not equal causation. Two unrelated
systems can both be related to a third, and I think that must be the case
with neurological activity and subjective experience, where the third and
fundamental system is sensory-motor capacity, or sense, from which the
private and public subsystems are derived.

Craig