On Sat, Mar 23, 2013 at 10:49 PM, Platonist Guitar Cowboy
<multiplecit...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 23, 2013 at 8:55 PM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

>>> I don' think it's that simple. From my limited understanding of laws,
>>> my impression is that the plants themselves are exempted from the
>>> international conventions, but creating a preparation with active DMT
>>> from them is illegal.
>>>
>>> UniĆ£o do Vegetal won a court case in the USA that allows them to use
>>> it for religious purposes. I'm not American and not used to case law,
>>> so I don't really understand what that means.
>>

>> It just means that the law allowed for religious exceptions and a judge
>> ruled in a particular case that ayahuasca was such an exception.  Other
>> courts are bound by this decision unless it is overturned by a higher court
>> on appeal.

>>> Agreed. I guess the distinction is important if you are in favor of
>>> such restrictions to begin with.
>>

>> I am in favor of some regulation of drugs used as treatment - to avoid
>> dangerous fraud as in the old days of traveling snake-oil salesmen.
>>

> Yes, thank goodness for Pfizer, Bayer, and the rest of them + the regulatory
> systems that ensure patients' safety. Good to see also that health insurance
> are not keeping black lists right now, because doing so would be transparent
> discrimination. Maybe fifty years ago such a position was tenable; don't
> know, wasn't around then.
>
> But what we have now is institutionalized, your-local-pharmacy + Doc + Govt.
> snake-oil salesman.
>
> Since you don't believe in anything (which you believe... ;) ), it is
> redundant to point out that there are more trustworthy ayahuasca cooks,
> indeed traveling snake-oil-salesmen (although institutionalizing ayahuasca
> use is showing its share of problems), than pharma + ethics boards + govt. +
> medical industry interests blended into this scheme of making medicine more
> and more expensive for the needing, appropriate patients. This is
> pseudo-science and apparently all these interests are working together with
> a telepathically linked united, benevolent interest to better and help the
> sick and needy.
>
> ----PGC

Exactly!

I wonder how many people died because they couldn't afford medication
(which could be dirt-cheap) compared to how many died from trusting a
quack.

By the way, regulation only "protects us" from accessing effective
treatments if we are too poor. Quacks can always find some loophole to
explore.

Telmo.