On Thu, May 9, 2013 at 11:14 AM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

> On 5/9/2013 2:17 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:

>>> But it isn't a "measurement" if you can make it cohere again.  A
>>> measurement is irreversbile, "erasing" means reversing the process that, if
>>> it were not erased could have become a measurement.
>>>

>> You beg the question. Nothing is irreversible.
>>

> On the contrary it is you who are begging the question.  You are claiming
> that measurements are reversible because your theory says they are
> reversible, even though in practice they are not, and this shows your
> theory is right.
>

>  For practical reason macroscopic measurement seems irreversible, as we
>> cannot track the leaking of information, and can no more practically erase
>> it. Quantum erasure algorithm would not work if measurement were
>> irreversible, and what such local measurement, where we can still erase the
>> information and get back to coherence shows that the collapse is not well
>> defined. Of course Einstein already shows that the collapse cannot be
>> covariant, and Bohr acknowledged that it cannot be a physical event, but
>> then why to introduce it to begin with (except the wanting to be unique).
>>

> Yes, it's a mathematical operation.  In decoherence theory, it's taking a
> trace.  I'm quite willing to entertain the idea of FPI, but it's till
> randomness.
>
> Brent

My preference for the MWI has nothing to do with a personal preference for
determinism or indeterminism.  I prefer MWI because it is a literal reading
of the equations, free of any additional of baggage.

Von Neumann thought the extra baggage was required to make the model match
our observations, but Everett later showed that step was unnecessary.  The
model (free of additional baggage) predicts the same observations as the
model with it.   Since it has been shown to be unnecessary let's dispense
with it already!

Jason