On 09 May 2013, at 20:11, meekerdb wrote:

On 5/9/2013 10:02 AM, Jason Resch wrote:
Von Neumann thought the extra baggage was required to make the model match our observations, but Everett later showed that step was unnecessary. The model (free of additional baggage) predicts the same observations as the model with it.

He showed that IF the wave function separates into orthogonal components (an irreversible process) then FPI explains the observations. But the model says it never does that; it only approximates that, in certain bases. Decoherence theory tries to fill in the process by which this occurs give a statistical mechanics type account of irreversibility. But you could also take the epistemological interpretation of Peres and Fuchs instead of inventing other worlds just to save the determinism of an equation. I like MWI and Bruno's FPI idea, but without some testable prediction (not retrodiction) I don't find them compelling.

Comp explains that Peres and Fuchs is still a "*many* epistemological views", like Mermin's "relations without relata". Those are even closer to comp than Everett, where we can still be physical-realistic about the branches of the waves. The Quantum wave should indeed describe a first person plural knowledge states, with comp. That's why comp is more "many dreams" than "many-worlds".

Then comp leads to a precise very simple scheme of non trivial TOEs (SK theory, arithmetic, degree four diophantine polynomial, etc.).

And from it you can get the whole physics. Sorry if up to now it describes the current physics. May be the physicists were not so bad observers after all. The new theory is far simpler. It is too young to predict an unseen particle, but that is only a matter of (a lot of) work, for the next generations. It is also the only theory, to my knowledge, which explains completely the relation and difference between qualia and quanta, beyond the "why" of the apparent MW.

Note that the comp TOE is just arithmetic, but comp itself is not: it has the theological component of believing in the physical digital reincarnation possibility.