On 17 May 2013, at 11:58, Russell Standish wrote:

On Fri, May 17, 2013 at 11:24:30AM +0200, Bruno Marchal wrote:
A, B, C, D, ... are conventional names for recognizable physical
signals in the message we got. Can you decode it? It is the inverse
of cryptography. The idea is that such a message can be understood
by any patient enough (Löbian) entity having a small amount of
inference ability.

Here is the message:

ABACAADABAACAAADAABAAACAAAAADAAAABACAAAAADAABAACAAAADAAABAACAAAAADAABACAAAD
AAAAABAAAAACAAAAAAAAAADEBACADAAAABECAAAADEBECEDAFAAACAAADAAFAAACAAAAAAD
Etc.

Obviously, the As spell out a series of integers

11212323541522432521355{10}1144413236

If you set B=+ and C==, and D=; the first part of the message decodes
as

1+1=2;1+2=3;2+3=5;4+1=5;2+2=4;3+2=5;2+1=3;5+5=10;

then we have

E+1=1;
4+E=4;
E+E=E;

so E=0

then

1F3=3;
2F3=6;

so F=*

and so on...

OK nice. Then you can imagine that we can continue in this way, up to define PI, circles, ellipses, planetary systems, wave, colors, stars, and eventually explains the place from where the message has been sent. Long and tedious exercise: pursue the message up to explain machine's theology!

For an arithmetical realist, it makes sense to say that such a message is a universal self-decoding message, capable to be understood by any "rich enough" (in cognitive ability) entity.

I guess that you agree that if we receive such a message, then we can reasonably bet that it has been sent by "self-aware" entities. OK?

Did humans sent such a message? Why not?

Principal, High Performance Coders