On 16 Jun 2013, at 07:20, Roger Clough wrote:

The missing perceiver in materialism and artificial intelligence and how to implement it

Unless you have a perceive (a subject) with a point of view, a broadband living mind, you have nothing.

Some machines have already discovered their own many different points of view.

The perceiver has the ability to see the world

Which world?

from his own pinpoint or narrow-band point of view
and scan it through all angles in nroadband.

Here;s what saomputer science has:

no consciousness, just a blind deaf and dumb description of an object = just data = an objective or public world. (what computers are confined to live in).

Most are just dualist. They are indeed easily shown inconsistent. But the problem is not the absence of mind, it is the believe in a primary physical reality, which is not sustained by any evidences.

Here's what Leibniz gives us:

Personal consciousness, that being (subject + object) = a personal experience = a personal or subjective worldc

Leibniz seems to be the only one who gives a fairly understandable account. Here's one of my versions of his view:

http://www.academia.edu/3661917/The_secret_of_perception._How_our_individual_minds_all_perceive_through_the_One_Mind

"The secret of perception. Particular minds and how they relate to the overall or Cosmic MindThe problem of perception in materialistic thinking is that it forces us tothink that there is a homunculo usLeibniz has a more complicated understanding of particular minds and how they relate toCosmic Mind.In Leibniz's metaphysics, there is only one mind (the Perceiver or Cosmic Mind or God) thatperceives and acts, doing this through the Surpreme (most dominant) monad.It perceives the whole universe with perfect clarity.Only it can perceive and act, because its monads (which includes our minds) have no windows.The monads (our minds) perceive only indirectly, as the Supreme Monad is the only--what we would call-- "conscious" mind. We only think and perceive indirectly,as the Supreme Monad continually and instantly updates its universe of monads. Thus there is no problem communing with God (the Cosmic Mind)as we do so continually and necessarily, although only aqccording to our own abilitiesand perspective. sThat we ourselves, not God, appear to be the perceiver is thus only apparent.Also, because Cosmic Mind sees the entire universe as viewed by a kaleidoscope of individual monads, the perceptions it returns to us contains not only whatwe see (the universe from our own individual perspectives) but what theperceptions of all of the other monads. Thus each monad knows everythingin the universe, but only from its own perspective, and monads being monads,not perfectly clear but distorted.Thus, as Paul says, “For now we see dimly, as in a mirror, but the n we shallsee cleasrly, face to face.Dr. Roger Clough NIST (ret.) 6/16/2013

Leibniz is still far late compared to the antic Platonists, which are the only one coherent with facts and theories (comp, QM, etc.)

Bruno

Also  see my Leibniz site at
http://team.academia.edu/RogerClough
DreamMail - Enjoy good email software  www.dreammail.org