On Fri, Aug 16, 2013 at 11:04 AM, Telmo Menezes <te...@telmomenezes.com>wrote:

> I don't really find the Turing Test that meaningful, to be honest.

I am certain that in your like you have met some people that you consider
brilliant and some that are as dumb as a sack full of doorknobs, if it's
not the Turing test how did you differentiate the geniuses from the
imbeciles?

> I find it a much more worthwhile endeavour to create a machine that can
> understand what we mean

And the only way you can tell if a machine (or another human being)
understands what you mean or not is by observing the subsequent behavior.

> like a human does, without the need to convince us that it has human
> emotions

Some humans are VERY good at convincing other humans that they have certain
emotions when they really don't, like actors or con-men; evolution has
determined that skillful lying can be useful.

John K Clark