On Sat, Aug 17, 2013 at 10:07 PM, Telmo Menezes <te...@telmomenezes.com>wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 17, 2013 at 2:45 PM, Platonist Guitar Cowboy
> <multiplecit...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >
> >
>
> PGC,
>
> You are starting from the assumption that any intelligent entity is
> interested in self-preservation.
>
I wonder if this drive isn't
> completely selected for by evolution. Would a human designed
> super-intelligent machine be necessarily interested in
> self-preservation? It could be better than us at figuring out how to
> achieve a desired future state without sharing human desires --
> including the desire to keep existing.
>

I wouldn't go as far as self-preservation at the start and assume instead
that intelligence implemented in some environment will notice the
limitations and start asking questions. But yes, in the sense that
self-preservation extends from this in our weird context and would be a
question it would eventually raise.

Still, to completely bar it, say from the capacity to question human
activities in their environments, and picking up that humans self-preserve
mostly regardless of what this does to their environment, would be
self-defeating or a huge blind spot.

>
> One idea I wonder about sometimes is AI-cracy: imagine we are ruled by
> an AI dictator that has one single desire: to make us all as happy as
> possible.
>
>
Even with this, which is weird because of "Matrix-like zombification of
people being spoon fed happiness" scenarios, AI would have to have enough
self-referential capacity to simulate with enough accuracy human
self-reference. This ability to figure out desired future states with
blunted self-reference it may not apply to itself seems to me a
contradiction.

Therefore I would guess that such an entity censored in its
self-referential potential is not granted intelligence. It is more a tool
towards some already specified ends, wouldn't you say?

Also, differences between the Windows, Google, Linux or the Apple version
of happiness would only be cosmetic because without killing and dominating
each other for some rather long period it seems, it would be some "Disney
surface happiness" with some small group operating a "more for us few here
at the top, less for them everybody else" agenda underneath ;-) PGC


> >>
> >> Telmo.
> >>
> >> > Brent
> >> >
> >> > --
> >> > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
> >> > Groups
> >> > "Everything List" group.
> >> > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send
> >> > an
> >> > email to everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
> >> > To post to this group, send email to everything-list@googlegroups.com
> .
> >> > Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/everything-list.
> >> > For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
> >>
> >> --
> >> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
> Groups
> >> "Everything List" group.
> >> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send
> an
> >> email to everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
> >> To post to this group, send email to everything-list@googlegroups.com.
> >> Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/everything-list.
> >> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
> >
> >
> > --
> > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
> > "Everything List" group.
> > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
> > email to everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
> > To post to this group, send email to everything-list@googlegroups.com.
> > Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/everything-list.
> > For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
> "Everything List" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
> email to everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
> To post to this group, send email to everything-list@googlegroups.com.
> Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/everything-list.
> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
>

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Everything List" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to everything-list@googlegroups.com.
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/everything-list.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

Reply via email to